Sunday, July 5, 2015

Week Four: To Flip or Not to Flip (The Classroom that Is)



     The idea behind the "flipped" classroom is that the traditional lecture that normally would take place in class now takes place outside of the classroom. The teacher prepares an interactive video lesson that students watch at home. The following day students come to class having watched the lecture prepared to engage in activities and workshops that coincide with the lesson that was taught. 

     So what do I think about the flipped classroom? I think it's a great idea. Once again it allows students to make use of technology in a nontraditional yet educational way.What I like in particular about this format is that it gives the students more time to ruminate over the lesson so that he or she fully understands the concept. With a video you can go back over what you need to until you have a better understanding of what's being taught. In a classroom generally, there isn't much time to do this. You have to keep the ball rolling so to speak. But watching the lecture at home gives students time to jot down notes, questions, and concerns that he or she can take to school the next day and discuss. In essence, students are more prepared because they have time to process the concept and think about it in depth. I personally am one who often needs time to go away and think before responding or reacting to new concepts so perhaps I am a little biased concerning the flipped classroom. I would have loved this model growing up because I wasn't exactly a "quick learner" when it came to learning certain concepts, especially in math. 

     While I do think the flipped classroom is a great idea I don't think that the classroom should be completely taken over with this model. What about students who do not have internet access at home? Or even access to a local library? Or a smart phone? With anything there are always downsides and negatives and these are just a few. But if none of these factors are an issue then I think the flipped classroom can be successful. I also think this shouldn't be an everyday thing just the same as BYOD because students can become accustomed to this format and it too can become boring and uninteresting. 

     I would certainly flip my classroom as I think it makes learning more interesting and productive. I recently found out about an application called Nearpod that would be perfect for the flipped classroom. Nearpod allows teachers to share slides, multimedia, and assessment tools with students in what is called a Live session. While typically Nearpod is used in the classroom, it can also be used at home as well or outside of the classroom. The only thing about using this application is that students would have to be in the session when the teacher wants to begin the lesson because it is controlled by that teacher. The students can access the session from any device or location by either adding the app or logging on to Nearpod.com/students and entering the pin that is given by the teacher. Once students have entered the Live session, the teacher can then proceed. The students will see the same screen that the teacher sees and as she moves to the next slide, the student's slides will show the same screen. 

     I'm definitely becoming more excited about being in the classroom as I learn about new teaching methods like the flipped classroom and BYOD. It shows that education is evolving and I'm excited to be a part of a generation that makes learning fun and creative. There is more than one way to learn and no longer does education have to be limited to the classroom lecture. 

1 comment:

  1. Stephanie, I really appreciate your mention of Nearpod and how that might be a good tool for the flipped model. I guess I would have a problem with it only being a synchronous tool (in real time), but if students' schedules were not an issue, this would be a great tool. The flipped method makes more and more sense as the tech tools become better and more easily available for teachers to produce the videos. I also like the idea of students creating the videos for this method.

    ReplyDelete